Thursday, November 13, 2014

Gear Lists Galore


After going through list after list, I've purchased most of my thru-hiking gear.  I still have clothing (everything from Darn Tough socks to compression shorts) and a few other items on my wish-list.

Here's what I've got (so far).  Knowing there are a wide variety of opinions on what a thru-hiker should take with him/her, I'm certain there will be many folks who'd do it differently.  Cost, comfort, weight, etc. go into the decisions for each hiker.

I didn't get all the "top of the line" gear, but it wasn't all that cheap, either.  Tried to stay lightweight, but that's not always possible.  If (when?) I make changes on trail, I'll give updates.

Edited by adding links (not necessarily where I purchased item).

Tent:

Eureka Apex 2 - more room (claustrophobic) and free-standing








Sleeping Bag:

Eureka Casper 15F Long - synthetic for cold/damp conditions






Backpack:

Osprey Exos Large - lightweight, roomy, great reviews











Trekking Poles:

Easton BC AL3 Anti-Shock Cork - REI closeout, didn't want to spend the big bucks










Cooking System:

JetBoil Flash - all-in-one, easy to use/pack










Sleeping Pad:

Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol Large - lightweight, no leaks, fold-up










Rain Gear:

Frogg Toggs - cheap, lightweight, recommended by Leon (my outdoorsman son)










Headlamp:

Black Diamond Cosmo Blue - 4 to 90 lumens, up to 50 meters, strobe, single red LED, water-resistant (we shall see)


No comments:

Post a Comment