Tuesday, November 18, 2014

AT Hiker Journals & Blogs



Reading online journals and blogs posted by successful thru-hikers is a great help.  I've adjusted my "plan" here and there after getting a better feel for what will (and won't) work for me.

Finished reading Chelsea Walking last night and must rate it as one of the best I've seen so far.  It's very informative, has plenty of great pictures, and the timing was right:  her 2014 North-bound thru-hike was done around the same time of year I'll be on the trail in '15.

Her blog has it all.  She dealt with wild weather (ice/snow/lightning), foot issues (blisters & missing toenails), and a few jackasses along the trail.  She enjoyed great views, spent time on the trail with wonderful hiking buddies, and ran into some fantastic trail magicians.

If you'd like to read it from the beginning, start here.

I walked 10 miles the first day and plan to keep this pace for the next two weeks or so even though I'm itching to tack on more mileage. It's not worth the risk of injury as my body adjusts to the extra weight of my pack and this ridiculously awesome day to day activity of waking.

No comments:

Post a Comment